[KinoSearch] KinoSearch versus Lucy

Jason McIntosh jmac at jmac.org
Wed Oct 27 15:25:29 PDT 2010

Howdy,

I discovered KinoSearch today, while doing research for a website
search-engine project now on my plate. It looks pretty cool, and I
look forward to taking it for a spin.

However, a colleague advised me to look up Lucy, and now I find myself
rather confused. According to Lucy's homepage
(http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/):

"In July 2010, Lucy proposed to enter the Apache Incubator with the
purpose of assimilating the KinoSearch code base and community and was
accepted."

I confess I'm not sure how to read this. Is the roadmap here for
KinoSearch to phase out as an independent project, and continue on as
part of Lucy? CPAN is itself inconclusive about this (a search for
'Lucy' doesn't display much relevant, anyway).

I would be grateful for any guidance about whether I can continue
investigating KinoSearch in confidence that it has a long life ahead
of it, or whether I should bide my time until an in-progress merging
of development efforts settles down.

--
Jason McIntosh

http://jmac.orgjmac at jmac.org • @JmacDotOrg