[KinoSearch] Stable version - substring match

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Mon Nov 22 18:18:27 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 06:16:49PM +0200, Seredinschi Adi wrote:
> I noticed that in the 0.31 version the substring search is enabled by
> default (not sure through what modifications and mechanisms).

?

I'm not sure what you mean, but I don't think that's true.

> I was hoping that the next stable release would be in next few months, but
> that doesn't seem to be the case.

We've been focused on the transition to Apache.  We're discussing making an
initial release of Lucy on the Lucy developers list now.

Personally, I would prefer to make the next stable fork from Lucy rather than
KinoSearch.  Because of the licensing differences between Lucy and KinoSearch,
every time we get a code contribution for KinoSearch, we have to nag the
author to make extra steps to contribute their intellectual property to the
Apache Software Foundation so that we can use it in Lucy.  Forking KinoSearch3
would exacerbate that problem; forking Lucy1 would largely solve it.

If people want to see Lucy move in a particular direction, e.g. towards a
stable fork sooner rather than later, I encourage them to join the Lucy
community and to speak up within the Lucy forums.  Some Lucy community members
are subscribed to the KinoSearch discussion list, but not all.

> Are there any workarounds for this issue, such that I could preserve
> stability, and not reduce the speed and scalability very much? Could
> something like
> http://www.rectangular.com/kinosearch/docs/devel/KinoSearch/Docs/Cookbook/CustomQuery.html
> be done in KinoSeach1?

Practically speaking, I don't think so, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to
try.  It would require hacking on undocumented APIs which differ substantially
from what's in the current release.  KinoSearch1 is 4 years and two software
generations behind KinoSearch 0.31.

Marvin Humphrey