[KinoSearch] index is locked by 'locks/write.lock' in KinoSearch-0.30_11

dapatrick@pobox.com darian at criticode.com
Tue Aug 24 13:15:21 PDT 2010

----- Mail original -----
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:29:44PM -0500, dapatrick at pobox.com wrote:
>
> > I'm using the latest developer release of KinoSearch and am
> > receiving the error
> >
> > index is locked by 'locks/write.lock', kino_Indexer_init at
> > core/KinoSearch/Index/Indexer.c line 92
>
> The contents of this error message may be inaccurate, which is a bug
> in
> KinoSearch. If that lockfile fails to be written, you get that error
> message
> regardless of *why* the lockfile failed to be written.
>
> > This occurs with the following very simple code:
> >
> > 	my $indexer = KinoSearch::Index::Indexer->new(
> > 		index => 'data/kino',
> > 		schema => Foo::Schema->new(),
> > 		create => 1,
> > 		truncate => 1,
> > 	);
> >
> > (Foo::Schema is a subclass of KinoSearch::Plan::Schema.)
> >
> > Am I doing something incorrectly? It seems that the error occurs as
> > soon as
> > I construct the Indexer before I've done any actual work.
>
> You might be getting that error because of a permissions problem, or
> because
> "data/" doesn't exist and KinoSearch won't recursively create
> directories when
> creating an index, or something else.
>
> I'll look into fixing this error message problem. At the very least,
> I'll
> change it to "Failed to aquire lock 'locks/write.lock'" so that it no
> longer
> suggests that the file exists when it may not.

Thanks Marvin. That error appears to have been caused by having my project working directory mounted using VMware Workstation's host filesystem sharing. I've encountered problems with this subsystem of the product before. Sorry for the semi-false alarm.

Darian

--
Darian Anthony Patrick <darianp at sas.upenn.edu>

--