[KinoSearch] bad intialization in SegTermDocs.pm

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Thu Apr 10 15:51:28 PDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 3:22 PM, jack_tanner at yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm a KS newbie, but I think I've found a bug that has to do with
> SegTermDocs.pm in 0.162.
>
> Specifically, I'm seeing a BooleanQuery return 0 docs. I stepped
> through KS's code (yay EPIC) to find that in SegTermDocs->new, after
> _init_child($self) the $self remains undef. Subsequently, $self-
> >_set_reader( $reader ) also fails, and new() returns an undef
> SegTermDocs object. I'm an XS n00b, and I wouldn't know how to begin
> tracing that part of the code.
>
> In case this is relevant (probably not), the docs are analyzed with
> only a whitespace tokenizer because I do my own stemming and
> stopword removal. They're stored in a RAMInvIndex. I'm running on
> Fedora 8, Perl 5.8.8, with KS installed from CPAN.

My first guess is that the root of the problem is a mismatch between
what's in the index and what's been requested.  But it's hard to say,
and the term_docs() code is indeed a little messed up in 0.162.  Can
you supply a failing test case?

Also, if you don't need API stability, I encourage you to use the
devel release.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/