[KinoSearch] Kinosearch benefit

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Tue Aug 22 23:27:39 PDT 2006

On Aug 22, 2006, at 6:12 AM, Alexey Melezhik wrote:

> Hi! We use lucene + java  for our web site search engine;
>
> We have cgi+perl web application and call lucene search functions via
> LWP, connecting to localhost (jsp) and getting back XML file with
> search results;
>
> So, If we switch to Kinosearch+lucy , what we would gain? I assume
> that we should gain at speed at least, cause in that case we would
> have fast perl+XS calling (against getting XML by lwp )
>
> I mean, just in common, if you recommend us to switch to Kinosearch
> +lucy ?

My first take is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Lucene is an
excellent option if Java is a part of your rig.  KinoSearch is an
excellent option if Perl is part of your rig.  Indexing speeds are
roughly comparable.  Lucene is probably somewhat faster for complex
queries against large indexes (because KS hasn't implemented the
"skipTo" optimization). The XML parsing, http, and process overhead
probably aren't that significant unless your index is pretty small.
I'm not sure that there's much to gain by choosing one over the other
unless you need features that are in Lucene and not in KS or vice versa.

Not convinced?  Try KinoSearch then.   :)

Marvin Humphrey

--
I'm looking for a part time job.